Monday, June 07, 2010

Brad Onken Summer Sizzler 2010 5K

Goal: Shave off some more seconds of my 5K time from 4 wks ago.

May: 24:12
Today: 23:47

So today I took along my friend's hs daughter of 15 yrs. I'm trying to keep her running so she doesn't start all over in the spring with track so I invited her to run the 5K.

Not one to spend alot of time warming up, we got there and registered just 10 minutes before race start. There were 195 runners and I was number 193,Kayla was 194.
This course is a pretty challenging course, but I love it. Through some side neighborhoods, into the park trails, along the river. Beautiful, cool summer morning.

I finished pretty much spent. I actually thought I was gonna have to vomit at the end. Can't say I didn't give it my all. I actually quickly walked about 30 steps up a very steep hill at the end. Part of my strategy....catch my breath and then pour it all out to the finish, where I end up passing everyone that passed me on the hill and then some.

Finish time: 23:47 Very happy with that.

On a side note, I really didn't expect to place today because there were so many good runners. I was hoping at least a 3rd place to take home something. We listened to the guy giving out door prizes. I didn't win anything...I never do! Rats!

After he announced the overall female and male winners, Kayla and I sauntered over to the listing of runners to see where we placed. I thought I heard my name and Kayla said the announcer called me. So I walked over and said, "You called my name? Why?" He said,"Because you won 1st overall Masters female!" Totally shocked me! Did NOT see that coming! The woman that won overall female is one year younger than me but ran it in 19:47, so that opened up the old lady group for me. Woohoo!

Anyway, as we were standing there, in all seriousness, Kayla said, "Master's, isn't that for old people?" I couldn't help but laugh and say, "Yes, Kayla, I'm one of those old people?" 40+ lol

Kayla got 1st in her age group 14-16, with a time of 22:57. Ohhhh...in my dreams!

Went home, showered and went to my nephew's graduation party.

Oh, and the overall female and male won a year's supply of Buffalo Wild Wings. You think they will share them? Hmm?

Next goal.....sub 23 minutes.

No comments: