Monday, January 09, 2006

Heart trouble during intervals

After my poor attempt at 12 miles on Saturday, I had a great SLLOOOWWW recovery jog on Sunday of 3 miles. So I get up on Monday morning and decide, heck, today sounds like a good day to do some speedwork.

I haven't done any intervals for a few weeks so I thought I'd start back at the beginning doing only 5X400's.

I started out running a mile for a warmup. This is usually all it takes for me to be warmed up. I proceed to do the first 400 trying to concentrate on my leg turnover. Time 1:46(recovery walking for 2 min.), a little slower than usual, but I haven't done these for a bit. Next interval, 1:40, a little better and closer to normal. Next, 1:34, that's more like it. I'm getting into the groove now. Remember, after each interval I take a 2 minute walk break. Next interval, 1:42. Okay after almost using up the whole 2 minute walk break and I felt like my heart had slowed down significantly....what?...what's that? What is my heart doing? All of a sudden it is pounding very fast and hard and fluttering all over. It only lasted about 10 seconds, but felt like a minute. I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I was a little nervous to continue my intervals. Thus the 1:47 last interval. I only ran .5 miles for my cooldown and decided to call it a day.

I have had something like this happen off and on, but usually upon first lying down, but this was a different feeling and it's never happened while running. It was a little unnerving.

As much as I hate going to the doctor's, I think I just need to bite the bullet and go.

2 comments:

TriZilla said...

GAH! That's kind of crazy... And scary, I'm sure! I hope you get it figured out. And soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Weebs,

I have had this symptom most of my adult life. Usually it just feels like a 20-30 second heart flutter. Sometimes it makes me cough once or twice. I have had it checked and even had an EKG done but nothing ever came out of it. I was told it is a common problem. But best to have it checked.

Kelley Brooke